Powered by traveltriangle.com | 26 August 2020, 03:33 Pm
7 Best Luxury Trains In India
While you’re looking for an exclusive luxury experience in India, these best trains will take you on a whole different level. Each train will certainly provide you with some of the best experiences that you will simply cherish throughout your journey. Here is a list which has all the essential details like luxury trains in India fare and more! Don’t believe us? Scroll down to know more!
- Maharajas’ Express
- Palace On Wheels
- The Deccan Odyssey
- Golden Chariot
- Royal Orient Train
- Fairy Queen Express
- Heritage On Wheels
1. Maharajas’ Express
Best among all Indian luxury trains, Maharajas’ Express is also one of the 5 most luxurious trains in the world. This half-a-mile long train boasts of professionals prepared to meet the highest quality of hospitality, fully stocked bars, lavish suites, butler services and what not, and is one of the most expensive trains in India!
Tourists on board get to experience the richness of the country in the most distinguished way possible. Just for the record, it was voted ‘World’s Leading Luxury Train’ for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014, consecutively.
- The Heritage of India (Mumbai – Ajanta – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – Delhi)
- Gems of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
- The Indian Panorama (Delhi – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Fatehpur – Sikri – Agra – Gwalior – Orchha – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Lucknow – Delhi)
- Indian Splendour (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Bikaner – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Balasinor – Mumbai)
- Treasures of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
Maharajas’ Express is operational from October to April and plies on 5 different routes as mentioned above. The duration and ticket costs for these routes are as follows:
Gems of India & Treasures of India – 4-day journeys for INR 2,57,950 (approx) each
Indian Splendour & The Indian Panorama – 8 days journey for INR 4,00,660 (approx) each
Heritage of India – 8 days journey for INR 4,58,280 approx
Food – Vegetarian food and eggs are served here
2. Palace On Wheels
‘Palace on Wheels’ is another in the list of luxury train ride in India that was refurbished and re-launched in 2009 to promote tourism. Luxurious cabins, exquisite wallpapers, well-stocked bar, gracious hospitality and local culture displayed by artistic use of paintings and handicrafts – it is very much like a palace on wheels that recreates the bygone era of kings and their royal palaces! No wonder why it was voted as 4th best luxurious train in the world. This is one of the best royal trains in India.
If you are planning a luxurious trip to Rajasthan, this is the best bet!
Route: Delhi – Jaipur – Sawai Madhopur – Chittorgarh – Udaipur – Jaisalmer – Jodhpur – Bharatpur – Agra – Delhi
Months of operation for Palace on Wheels are from September to April. The 7 nights, 8 days journey includes 7 stoppages, where tourist are taken for city tours. Key attractions covered by this train are:
- Delhi – India Gate, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar, Humayun’s Tomb
- Jaipur – Hawa Mahal, Amber Fort, Rajasthali, City Palace, Jantar Mantar
- Sawai Madhopur & Chittorgarh – Ranthambore National Park, Chittorgarh Fort
- Udaipur – Jag Niwas, Lake Pichhola
- Jaisalmer – Yellow Sandstone Fort, ancient mansions
- Jodhpur – Mehrangarh Fort, grand palaces, shopping tour in Jodhpur
- Bharatpur – Keoladeo Ghana National Park
- Agra – Fatehpur-Sikri, the Taj Mahal
For international travelers: US$3500 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 2,10,000 + 4.5% Service tax
Food – Vegetarian and non-vegetarian options are available in Chinese, Continental, and Indian cuisines
3. The Deccan Odyssey
Inspired by the traveling style of the kings and rulers during different royal eras of ancient India, Deccan Odyssey is a 5-star hotel on wheels that takes you to some fascinating destinations of India. Royal treatment for passengers, palace-like interiors of the cabins, multi-cuisine restaurants, lounges, a conference car, an onboard spa and other state-of-the-art amenities make it one of the most luxurious trains in India and in the world as well.
- Maharashtra Splendor (Mumbai – Nasik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – Mumbai)
- Indian Odyssey (Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – Mumbai)
- Hidden Treasures of Gujarat (Mumbai – Vadodara – Palitana – Sasan Gir – Somnath – Little Rann of Kutch – Modhera – Patan – Nashik – Mumbai)
- Indian Sojourn (Mumbai – Vadodara – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Agra – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Delhi)
- Jewels of the Deccan (Mumbai – Bijapur – Aihole – Pattadakal – Hampi – Hyderabad – Ellora Caves – Ajanta Caves – Mumbai)
- Maharashtra Wild Trail (Mumbai – Aurangabad – Ramtek – Tadoba – Ajanta – Nashik – Mumbai)
The Deccan Odyssey operates from October to April and the duration for all 6 routes is 7 nights, 8 days.
For international travelers: US$5,810 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 3,71,900 + 4.5% Service tax
Food – Vegetarian and non-vegetarian options are available in Indian and continental cuisines
4. Golden Chariot
The Golden Chariot is one of the superb luxury trains in India that takes you to some of the most famous tourist places in South India. Launched in 2008, the Golden Chariot is well known for its impeccable hospitality. The train has AC chambers with royal interiors, bars, restaurants serving multi-variety cuisines, mini gym, ayurveda spa and other 5-star facilities.luxury trains
Regarded by tourists as one of the best luxury trains of India, it was also awarded as ‘Asia’s Leading Luxury Train’ in the year 2013.
- Pride of the South (Bangalore – Kabini – Mysore – Hassan – Hampi – Badami – Goa – Bangalore)
- Southern Splendour (Bangalore – Chennai – Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry – Thanjavur – Madurai – Thiruvananthapuram – Alleppey – Kochi – Bangalore)
The Golden Chariot runs from October to March, and duration for both the routes is 7 nights, 8 days.
The Golden Chariot train price in India per cabin on twin sharing basis for Pride of the South:
For international travelers- US$8,260 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers- INR 3,08,000 + 4.5% Service tax
Starting fares per cabin on twin sharing basis for Southern Splendour:
For international travelers- US$9,130 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers- INR 3,50,000 + 4.5% Service tax
Food – Vegetarian and non-vegetarian options are available
5. Royal Orient Train
Embark on a royal journey by the Royal Orient Train and enjoy a delightful experience of traveling to famous tourist destinations onboard one of the best luxury trains in India. Journey by luxury train in India is a combination of absolute chivalry and unimaginable opulence. It is definitely one of the royal trains in India.
The palatial-style comfortable cabins, well-trained hospitality professionals, multi cuisine restaurant with the “Watering Hole” Bar, spacious baths, a library and almost all facilities that come to your mind while imagining yourself in a 5-star hotel – Royal Orient Train has them.
Route: Delhi – Chittorgarh/Udaipur -Junagarh/Veraval- Sasan Gir/Dilwara – Palitana- Sarkhej- Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi
The Royal Orient Train runs all year round, and the duration is 7 nights, 8 days. City attractions one can see en route are:
- Delhi – Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Jama Masjid, India Gate
- Chittorgarh/Udaipur – Chittorgarh Fort, City Palace, boating in Lake Pichhola, Shilpgram and Royal Gardens
- Junagarh/Veraval – Ashokan Rock EDICT of 3rd Century BC, Darbar Hall Museum, Mausoleum of Nawab
- Mahabat Khanji, Somnath Temple on the shore of the Arabian Sea
- Sasan Gir National Park – Lion Sanctuary
- Dilwara – St. Paul’s church and Mandir Beach
- Palitana – Jain Temple atop Shatrunjaya Hills
- Ahmedabad – Gandhi Ashram, Calico Museum of Textiles, Sidi Aayyad’s Mosque
- Jaipur – Amar Fort and elephant ride, Hawa Mahal, City palace, Jantar Mantar (observatory)
Starting fares per cabin per person for one night on twin sharing basis from October-March:
For international travelers: US$200 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 7,480 + 4.5% Service tax
Starting fares per cabin per person for one night on twin sharing basis from April-September:
For international travelers: US$150 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: NA
Food – NA
6. Fairy Queen Express
Last but not the least, the Fairy Queen Express is one of the oldest trains providing luxury train journeys in India. Powered by the oldest serving steam locomotive built in around 1855, Fairy Queen has its own charm as it rambles through to Alwar in Rajasthan. With a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records and a recipient of National Tourism Award, Fairy Queen easily makes it to the list of most luxurious trains in India.
Route: Delhi – Alwar – Sariska- Alwar – Delhi
Runs from October to March on 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. Duration of the journey is 1 night, 2 days. Attractions at its two stoppages – Sariska and Alwar – are:
- Sariska– Lake Palace, Sariska National Park
- Alwar– Alwar Museum
Starting fares for full package
(Two-way train journey + sightseeing / stay at Sariska for an adult)
INR 8,600 + Government taxes/Service taxes
Food – Many options are available
7. Heritage On Wheels
One of the oldest luxury trains in India, the Heritage on Wheels showcases the traditions and culture of Rajasthan that have been passed from one generation to another in the finest manner possible. Adorning interiors that never fails to teleport a traveler to the golden days of the state, the Heritage on Wheels is one of the most expensive trains in India.
With the floors of this train being covered by local restaurant that serves authentic and continental cuisine, and the rooms that never fail to reek of the Royal vibes, this is one of those trains that one should definitely experience at least once in their lifetime. Making travelers feel like a queen or a king, this luxury train in India will surely offer a memorable experience.
Route: Jaipur – Bikaner – Tal Chhapar and Shekhawati – Jaipur – Depart
Some of the popular attractions that one see when traveling on the Heritage on Wheels for 3 nights and 4 days are:
- Bikaner: Junagarh Fort, Haat, Camel Safari, Lalgarh Palace, National Research Centre
- Tal Chhapar & Shekhawati: Laxmangarh Fort, Goenka Haveli, Sikar, Churu, Mandawa, Nawalgarh
- Jaipur: Hawa Mahal, Amber Palace, City Palace, Jantar Mantar
For single occupancy: $300 per person, per night
For double occupancy: $200 per person, per night
For triple occupancy: $150 per person, per night
Food – Many options are available in Indian, Continental, and Chinese cuisines
Note: Routes, schedules, boarding and deboarding points, and tariffs for the luxury train tours in India mentioned in this article are subject to change in accordance with directives of Government of India with prior information.