New Delhi November 25, 2020 UPDATED: November 25, 2020 13:22 IST
After tasting success with the iPhone 12, Apple is not rumoured to be working on something a little more ambitious for next year. According to the latest leaks, the company has radical plans for its iPhone 13 that is expected to be launched next year.
As per popular tipster Jon Prosser, the company is busy building a next-gen iPhone right now which will be completely portless, and will only charge via MagSafe. The information was revealed by the tipster first on Twitter and then added to his YouTube show, Front Page Tech.
However, he has said that Apple does not plan to turn all iPhones next year into wireless ones, with the phone maker planning a transition. “MagSafe is the bridge between lightning and portless. It’s also the way Apple can keep things somewhat proprietary without giving in to something as universal as USB-C.” The tipster further added that this is a piece of information is coming from a rock-solid source and had been told to him months ago, with the company still remaining on track on this development.
While this claim may not have made much sense a few months ago, the success of Apple’s MagSafe has ensured that the opinion on wireless charging for iPhones has slowly started to change. However, the problem with only MagSafe charging on the next-generation iPhone will be slow speeds, as the MagSafe standard right now can only transfer 15W power to compatible iPhones at best.
Additionally, if the company wants to make the next iPhone a wireless charging one only, then it would have to definitely improve the charging speeds for normal Qi-wireless-based charging pads. Currently, such chargers cannot deliver more than 7.5W of charging speed to iPhones, proving to be a big bottleneck for a lot of users.