By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi |Updated: August 21, 2020, 5:07:08 pm
Coronavirus India Live Updates: India’s coronavirus recovery rate soared past 74 percent on Friday after 62,282 patients recovered and were discharged in a day, taking the total recoveries to 21.6 lakh, the Union Health Ministry announced. The case fatality rate has dropped further to 1.89 percent as on date, it added.
The overall tally rose to 2,910,032 after 68,898 fresh cases were registered within a span of 24 hours. As many as 983 deaths were also recorded on Thursday, taking the total to 54,849.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court today allowed devotees to offer Paryushan prayers in three Jain temples in Mumbai. A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde, however, said that permission for Ganesh Chaturthi will have to be taken on a case-to-case basis from the Maharashtra Disaster Management Authority. The apex court said that no permission for prayers would be given for any other temple in Mumbai.
Globally, over 22.5 million people have been infected with the virus so far, including over 7.9 lakh who died. The United States continued to be worst affected followed by Brazil and India.
Election Commission issues guidelines for the conduct of elections during Covid-19
The Election Commission of India has issued guidelines for the conduct of general elections/by-elections during COVID-19.
* All voters are to wear face masks, which they will be asked to remove briefly for identification at the time of voting
* Only 2 people can accompany candidate at the time of nomination
* If a voter, on the day of voting, shows symptoms then they will be provided with a token and asked to come back at the last hour of polling
* Hand gloves will be provided to voters at the time of signing the register and pressing EVM button
* the Only group of 5 people can campaign door to door
* Candidate convoy for roadshows restricted to 5 vehicles
* Max 1,000 voters, instead of 1,500, can vote at a polling station
* Quarantined COVID patients will be allowed to vote at the last hour of poll under supervision of health officials, strictly following preventive measures.