|Wife:||Aishwarya R. Dhanush|
|Birth Name:||R K Vengadesha Prabu|
|Birth name||R K Vengadesha Prabu|
|Real name||Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja|
|Other name||Dhanush K Raja|
|Profession(s)||Actor, Producer, Director, Writer, Lyricist, Screenwriter, and Playback Singer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||centimeters– 175 cm
meters– 1.75 m
feet & inches– 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 70 kg
in pounds– 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||– Chest: 38 inches
– Waist: 30 inches
– Biceps: 11 inches
|Debut||Film (Tamil; As an actor): Thulluvadho Ilamai (2002) as Mahesh
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||National Film Awards
2010: Best Actor for Aadukalam
2014: Best Children’s Film (co-producer) for Kaaka Muttai
2015: Best Feature Film in Tamil (co-producer) for Visaranai
2019: Best Actor for Asuran
Filmfare Awards (Bollywood)2013: Best Debutant Actor for Raanjhanaa
Filmfare Awards South
South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA)
Edison Awards (India)
Note: He has many more accolades to his name.
|Date of Birth||28 July 1982 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||39 Years|
|Birthplace||Government Children’s Hospital in Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|School||Thai Sathya Matriculation High School, Chennai|
|College/University||Madurai Kamaraj University|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Computer Application (distance education)|
|Caste||Naicker (Backward class community)|
|Controversies||• There were reports that Shruti Haasan and Dhanush got carried away while shooting for a romantic scene on the sets of ‘3’ movie in 2011, which later turned out to be an affair. However, Dhanush’s wife slammed such rumors.
• In November 2016, Kathiresan and Meenaal, an old couple from Thiruppuvanam, Tamil Nadu, claimed that they were the real parents of Dhanush. They said that Dhanush’s original name was ‘Kalaiyarasan,’ and he left the house in 2002 after his poor scores in exam results, after which he came to Chennai to become an actor and never visited them again. Not only this, they filed a complaint in the local police station and the Chief Minister’s special cell and appealed to the authorities to help them “in getting their son back” and asked for monthly maintenance of ₹65000/month from Dhanush. Later, it was found that there was no truth to the couple’s claim.
• In 2017, Dhanush was accused of sexual assaults by the South Indian singer RJ Suchitra in one of her tweets. Later, her husband said that she was in depression, and her Twitter account was hacked.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Aishwarya R. Dhanush
• Shruti Haasan (Actor; rumored in 2011)
|Marriage Date||8 November 2004|
|Marriage Place||Raghavendra Kalyana Mandapam, Chennai
|Wife/Spouse||Aishwarya R. Dhanush (Director and Classical Dancer, m. 2004-present)
|Children||Son(s)– Yatra (born; 2006) and Linga (born; 2010)
|Parents||Father– Kasthuri Raja (Filmmaker)
|Siblings||Brother– Selvaraghavan (Elder, Director)
|Other Relative||Father-in-law- Rajinikanth (Actor)
|Food||Idiyappam, Kadala Curry|
|Actor(s)||Mohanlal, Amitabh Bachchan, Al Pacino, Tom Hanks|
|Actress(es)||Simran, Kajol, Kareena Kapoor, Monica Bellucci|
|Film(s)||Netri Kann (1981), Baashha (1995), Pudhupettai (2006), and Drushyam (2014)|
|Song||“Thendral Vanthu Theendum Pothu” from the film ‘Avatharam’ (2014)|
|Book||Love Story by Erich Segal|
|Sport(s)||Tennis, Snooker, Football|
|Football Club||FC Barcelona|
|Car Collection||• Audi A8
• Bentley Continental Flying Spur
• Rolls Royce Ghost Series 2
• Jaguar XE
|Salary||Rs. 1 Crore + (as of 2021)|
|Net Worth||$ 20 Million (as of 2021)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dhanush Biography
- Does Dhanush smoke?: No
- Does Dhanush drink alcohol?: No
- Dhanush is an Indian actor, producer, director, writer, lyricist, screenwriter, and playback singer.
- He was born in a middle-class Hindu family.
- In an interview, he shared that in childhood he wanted to have a red remote-controlled toy car which one of his friends used to have. He further said,
I wanted it so badly that I’d go ask him (neighbour) and he’d refuse to part with it. My brother used to take a used thread spool and try to shape it into something that looked like a car. The days I’ve yearned for that red car I’d never forget.”
- While he was in school, he wanted to become a chef or marine engineer.
- He failed in 12th class final exams, and later, he completed his graduation through distance learning.
- In an interview, he shared that he was brought up in a poor family. He said,
For a large part of my father’s youth, he worked in a mill and took up odd jobs to make ends meet. We lived in a small room and could only afford a meal a day. Dad would walk 11km every day to save a rupee of bus fare so we could go to school. I’ve seen poverty up close until I was four or five. But dad was a writer from a young age. Even while working in the mill, he would write stories and scripts and sell them to people for Rs 50 or so. They would then sell the stories to directors and producers as their own. Through one such contact, he got a break in the Tamil film industry as an assistant director. He must have been in his late 30s then. He worked hard for 15 years before making his directorial debut.”
Dhanush further added,
Of course! I was all of 16, I cried, threw tantrums, fasted. Nothing worked. I am glad it didn’t as I realise today I cannot do anything else. I suffer from stage fright so I blabber on stage and stop midway through my performances. I cannot even write a cheque as it makes me nervous. Being around people makes me nervous. But I’m very comfortable in front of the camera, and this I realised many films later.”
- He met Aishwarya for the first time at the screening of the Tamil film ‘Kadhal Kondaen’ (2003). Later, they started dating and got married in a traditional wedding ceremony. Whereas as per some other sources, their parents were friends and decided to fix the marriage of their children.
- In an interview, he shared that when he started his career as an actor, his English-speaking skills were poor. He said,
My English was pretty bad in 2005. To fix that, I got into the habit of reading English books. It would take me more than six months initially to read a book; I’d fall asleep before finishing a single chapter.”
- He debuted as an actor in his father’s directorial film ‘Thulluvadho Ilamai’ in 2002.
- In 2003, he acted in the Tamil film ‘Kadhal Kondein’ directed by his brother Selvaraghavan.
- In 2004, his films failed to do well at the box office, and his films like ‘Pudhukottaiyilirundhu Saravanan,’ ‘Sullan,’ and ‘Dreams’ were a flop.
- Later, his films ‘Devathaiyai Kanden’ (2005), ‘Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam’ (2005), ‘Yaaradi Nee Mohini’ (2008), and ‘Padikkadavan’ (2009) became hit, giving a boost to his acting career.
- He won his first National Award for the Tamil film ‘Aadukalam’ (2011) in which he played the role of a rooster fight jockey.
- In 2012, he released a song “Why This Kolaveri Di” on YouTube which went viral across the world. Later, the song was released in the Tamil film ‘3’ starring Dhanush and Shruti Haasan.
- Dhanush and his wife started a film production company ‘Wunderbar Films’ on 20 May 2010, and their first film as a producer was the Tamil film ‘3’ released in 2012. Some of his other films as a producer are ‘Ethir Neechal’ (2013), ‘Kaaki Sattai’ (2015), ‘Maari’ (2015), ‘Kaala’ (2018), and ‘Maari 2’ (2018).
- He is a renowned singer and has lent his voice for various songs like “Un mele” from the film ‘Aayirathil Oruvan’ (2010), “Danga maari” from ‘Anegan’ (2015), “Maalai Varum Vannilla” from ‘Nenjam Marappathillai’ (2016), “Polladha Bhoomi” from ‘Asuran’ (2019), and “Kaathodu Kaathanen” from ‘Jail’ (2020).
- He is a lyricist too and has penned down the lyrics of various songs like “Why This Kolaveri Di” from ‘3’ (2012), “Po Indru Neeyaga” from ‘Velaiilla Pattadhari’ (2014), “Venpanimalare” from ‘Pa Paandi’ (2017), and “Ilamai Thirumbuthe” from ‘Petta’ (2019).
- After making his successful debut in the Bollywood film ‘Raanjhanaa’ in 2013, he acted in the Hindi film ‘Shamitabh’ (2015) along with the legendary Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan.
- In 2021, he completed shooting for the Tamil film ‘Jagame Thandhiram’ and the Hindi film ‘Atrangi Re.’ In the same year, he was filming for the English film ‘The Gray Man.’
- He is an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva and has named his sons Yatra (Pilgrimage) and Linga (Shiva Lingam).
- He was titled ‘India’s ‘Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity in 2011 by the American animal rights organization ‘PETA,’ but Dhanush did not like it and considered it to be an insult.
- He assisted an international non-governmental organization WWF for their initiative ‘Earth Hour’ in 2012.
- Dhanush has been featured on the cover page of various renowned magazines.
- Based on his yearly earnings, he has been listed on the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list six times.
- Dhanush has featured in various TV commercials like 7UP, Tata Nano, and Center Fresh.
- On one of his birthdays, he visited Kotiswari to meet his 12-year-old fan who was in the last stage of blood cancer.