Hathras gang rape: Police forcibly took away body for cremation, says victim’s brother

Updated 30 September 2020 | 14:29 IST

Hathras, Uttar Pradesh: A 20-year-old woman, who died on Tuesday in Delhi fortnight after she was gang-raped and tortured in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras, was cremated by policemen last night, allegedly as her family and relatives were locked up in their homes. A disturbing sequence of events captured in overnight visuals shows the family arguing with cops, female relatives throwing themselves on the hood of the ambulance carrying the body, and a mother weeping helplessly as cops enforce taking her daughter straight to cremation, without allowing a final look.
The woman died in Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital yesterday morning. She had suffered multiple fractures, paralysis, and a gash in her tongue within the horrific assault that drew parallels to the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape. But long after her death, her family had to endure an evening of unending horror.

As protesters outside the Delhi hospital chanted “hang the rapists”, the woman’s brothers complained that her body had been whisked away by the UP police without their knowledge.

Her father and brothers sat on the protest but they were removed by the cops during a black Scorpio with UP plates.
UP rape victim’s family and relatives were allegedly locked up in their homes.

The adult female body was taken to her village in Hathras, about 200 km from Delhi, after midnight. As her family and villagers suspected the UP police wanted to finish the last rites right then, within the middle of the night, they insisted that this was “against their tradition”; the woman’s father pleaded with the police to be allowed to require her home and cremate her within the morning.

“We wanted the last rites to be performed consistent with the Hindu traditions. Despite our protests, the cremation was performed. They took the body forcefully. We couldn’t see our daughter’s face for the last time,” the woman’s father told

READ  Seychelles imposes COVID-19 curbs despite being world's most vaccinated nation

A woman, believed to be the mother of the 20-year-old, sat on the road sobbing and beating her chest.

At the village, female relatives tried to dam the vehicle by hugging the bonnet. A woman, believed to be the mother of the 20-year-old, sat on the road sobbing and beating her chest.

The police vehicle was stopped at multiple points before the cops allegedly pushed the protesters away and drove towards the funeral ground.

Relatives were seen throwing themselves on the hood of the ambulance carrying the body.

Appeals were also made to District Magistrate Praveen Kumar Laxkar to require her body to her home for the last rites after daybreak.

At 2:30 am, while most of her family was home, the police cremated the body.

Continuing their inexplicable acts, the Hathras police formed a person’s chain to stay reporters, the family, and villagers away. Only cops were present. Her family couldn’t see her one last time. They have allegedly locked up reception.

Amid spiraling outrage, the Hathras police claimed the cremation was administered with the family’s consent and a few members were present. It clothed to be one uncle – not her parents – who were called and shown the cremation. The police vehicle was stopped multiple times.

“We have videos of the relations present there. I will be able to be happy to share it with the media. We performed the cremation after the family’s consent. Some members of the family were present at the cremation. The media reports aren’t true,” District Magistrate Praveen Kumar Laxkar said today.

READ  Senate declares Trump's impeachment constitutional, begins proceedings

All four attackers, upper-caste men from the woman’s village, are in jail. they’re going to now even be charged with murder.

The UP police, which is under scrutiny over alleged lapses throughout the case, has been accused of rushing the cremation during a desperate cover-up attempt.

According to the family, the police had initially accused the lady of lying about her injuries. The police had initially registered an attempted murder case but added rape charges only after the woman’s formal statement every week after the incident when she was ready to speak. Yesterday, a senior officer said rape had not been confirmed and that they were expecting a forensic report.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: