News

Indian Army rejects report claiming face-off with Chinese troops in Galwan in May

The Indian Army has clarified that contrary no new face-off took place between India and China troops in May in Galwan. The Army also said the report seemed to be inspired by sources trying to derail the process for resolution of issues in eastern Ladakh.

UPDATED: May 24, 2021 13:50 IST

The Indian Army has dismissed a report which claimed that there was a minor face-off between the Indian and Chinese soldiers in Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh in the first week of May.

The report in the English daily claimed that a minor face-off took place between soldiers in the no-patrolling zone in Galwan Valley this month. The report, however, added that “no clash occurred and the two sides disengaged quickly”.

What has the Indian Army said?

The Indian Army on Sunday dismissed the report and clarified that no such incident took place in May while adding that the “article seems to be inspired by sources who may be trying to derail the ongoing process for early resolution of issues”.

“It is clarified that NO such minor face-off has taken place between Indian and Chinese troops at #Galwan Valley in Eastern Ladakh in the first week of May 2021 as reported,” the Indian Army said in a series of tweets.

READ

The article seems to be inspired by sources who may be trying to derail the ongoing process for early resolution of issues in eastern Ladakh, the Army added.

Taking note of the report dated May 23, the Indian Army requested the media to clarify actual versions of such incidents from authorised sources only. “#Media professionals are requested to clarify actual versions/positions on incidents involving the Indian Army from authorised sources in the #IndianArmy and not base reports on un-corroborated inputs from third parties,” the Indian Army said.

What did the report claim?

In its report, the newspaper quoted a senior government official and said there was a minor face-off between Indian and Chinese troops in the no-patrolling zone in Galwan Valley in the first week of May.

The official also told the daily that China still has camps beyond the no-patrolling zone and there has not been any reduction in troop deployment since last year.

The strained ties

Ties between India and China suffered a hit following a deadly crash in the Galway valley in eastern Ladakh in June last year, over a month after the border standoff began between the Indian and Chinese militaries at multiple friction points in the region.

Following a series of military and diplomatic talks, India and China completed the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the North and South banks of Pangong lake in February. The two sides are now engaged in talks to extend the disengagement process to the remaining friction points.

Chief of Army Staff Gen M M Naravane last week stated that India is keeping a constant eye on activities by the Chinese military. He also hoped that both sides will be able to make forward movement in resolving issues in other areas.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: