Entertainment

Kangana Ranaut’s revision plea in Javed Akhtar defamation case dismissed by Mumbai court

After ordering a stay on Saturday, a Mumbai sessions court has dismissed Kangana Ranaut's revision plea in Javed Akhtar defamation case. Kangana's lawyer has promised to challenge this order in the Bombay High Court.

UPDATED: April 5, 2021 18:00 IST

In a setback to actor Kangana Ranaut, the Dindoshi Sessions Court in Mumbai has dismissed the revision application filed by her, challenging the proceedings before the Metropolitan Magistrate Court at Andheri in a criminal defamation complaint filed by lyricist Javed Akhtar. Additional Sessions Judge SU Baghele had reserved the matter for order on Saturday after hearing both sides.

KANGANA RANAUT’S PLEA DISMISSED

In her plea, Kangana Ranaut had challenged the issuance of process, the legality and validity of the order dated February 1, 2021, passed by Metropolitan Magistrate at Andheri, RR Khan. Advocate Rizwan Siddiquee, appearing for the Thalaivi actress had relied upon Section 200 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC), which states that both the complainant and the witness are required to be examined by the Magistrate on oath and that the said statement ought to be signed by the Magistrate.

Advocate Jay K Bharadwaj, appearing for Javed Akhtar, opposed the plea and submitted that neither the issuance of the process nor the order warranted interference. He submitted that Section 200 of CrPC called for an examination of the complainant on oath and of the witness only if there were any present. Bharadwaj argued that by summoning Kangana Ranaut, she had been impliedly given a fair opportunity to respond to the complaint. Instead, Kangana grabbed the opportunity to tweet about the summons which was not in good taste.

THE KANGANA RANAUT vs JAVED AKHTAR CASE

According to Javed Akhtar, Kangana had made some statements, that were “false and malicious”, “with reckless disregard to the truth, by indulging in deliberate misrepresentation, misstatements and suppression, with the intent of harming and lowering the reputation of Akhtar in the eyes of the general public.” According to Akhtar, on July 19, 2020, Kangana had given an interview to a news channel damaging his immaculate reputation by falsely attributing statements to him. This interview was aired the next day with a disclaimer that the words and opinions expressed by the interviewee are those of the interviewee.

The detailed order passed by the court will be made public in due course. Kangana Ranaut’s lawyer Rizwan Siddiquee said that he will be challenging this order in the Bombay High Court.

Sourcehttps://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebrities/story/kangana-ranaut-s-revision-plea-in-javed-akhtar-defamation-case-dismissed-by-mumbai-court-1787374-2021-04-05

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button