|Education:||M. A. In French|
|Karan Johar Biography|
|Full Name||Karan Dharma Kama Johar|
|Real Name(s)||Rahul Kumar Johar, Karan Kumar Johar|
|Profession(s)||Director, Producer, Writer, TV Host|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||centimeters– 178 cm
meters– 1.78 m
feet inches– 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 77 kg
in pounds– 170 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||25 May 1972|
|Age (as in 2021)||49 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Greenlaws High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||H.R. College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||M. A. in French|
|Debut||Film (Director): Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
|Address||2nd Floor, Supreme Chambers, 17-18 Shah Industrial Estate, Unit No 201 202, Off Veera Desai Road, Andheri (West), Mumbai – 400053 (Dharma Productions Office)
Carter Road, Bandra, Mumbai (Home)
|Hobbies||Collecting Old Things and Antiques|
|Awards, Honours||National Film Awards
1999: Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment (Director) for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
2001: Best Costume Designer for Mohabbatein
Note: Along with these, he has many other awards, honors, and achievements to his name.
|Controversies||• He had a Twitter battle with Ram Gopal Varma after the release of Student of the Year in 2012. The whole thing started when RGV tweeted, “If someone takes off from Karan Johar’s ‘Student of the year’ and makes Teacher of the year it will become the Disaster of the year.” After which Karan replied that “Disaster of the year is your territory Ramu…no one can ever replace the comfortable place you have made for yourself there”.
• After the trailer of Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and Ajay Devgan‘s Shivaay, KRK gave a biased review in favor of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil. Following it, Ajay Devgan claimed that Karan Johar paid KRK for the trailer reviews.
• After the Uri attack in September 2016, political parties such as MNS and Shiv Sena gave Pakistani actors an ultimatum to leave India and told the Bollywood filmmakers to exclude their scenes in the films. Though Pakistani actors such as Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan left India but Karan continuously supported them on Twitter. Following this, MNS threatened Karan by saying that they would beat him up if he will continue to work with Pakistani actors.
• Following Sushant Singh Rajput‘s suicide on 14 June 2020, Karn Johar was criticized by many for promoting nepotism in Bollywood. His name also appeared in an F.I.R. filed in Bihar against some Bollywood personalities, including Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Salman Khan, and Ekta Kapoor.
• In September 2020, Karan Johar’s name appeared in the Bollywood drug row, which had been started following the death of Sushant Singh Rajput. In a series of investigations by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), many Bollywood celebrities were questioned by the agency in which Kshitij Prasad, a former employee of Dharmatic Entertainment (the digital arm of Dharma Productions), was also arrested. Soon after the arrest of Kshitij Prasad, many news channels started airing a video of 2019 hosted by Karan Johar in which many Bollywood celebrities, including Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Vicky Kaushal, Shahid Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor, and Deepika Padukone, and filmmakers Zoya Akhtar and Ayan Mukerji, were claimed to be high on drugs. However, Karan Johar, through a post on his Twitter handle, denied any such drug party hosted by him.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Children||Son– Yash (Surrogate)
Daughter– Roohi (Surrogate)
|Parents||Father– Late Yash Johar (Producer)
Cousin Brothers– Aditya Chopra, Uday Chopra
|Actor||Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Rishi Kapoor|
|Actress||Meryl Streep, Kajol, Rani Mukerji, and Kareena Kapoor|
|Film||Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge|
|TV Show||The Golden Girls|
|Drink(s)||Saint Emilion (Wine), Dom Perignon (Pink champagne)|
|Restaurant||Starbucks Coffee in Mumbai|
|Song||Dafli Wale Dafli Baja|
|Cars Collection||Jaguar XF
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 10 Crore+ per month|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$ 200 Million (Rs 1450 Crore) (in 2021)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Karan Johar Biography
- Does Karan Johar Smoke?: Not Known
- Does Karan Johar Drink Alcohol?: Yes
- As a kid, he loved dancing to old Hindi songs and was a big Bollywood buff since his childhood.
- He wanted to become a hairstylist at the age of 4, a doctor at 10, then a copywriter at 15, and finally, at 20, he got stable at becoming a filmmaker.
- In 1989, he was first seen in a Doordarshan TV’s Serial Indradhanush as Shrikant.
- Karan made his first Bollywood appearance in the movie Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) as Rocky.
- Karan was once superstitious regarding the letter ‘K’ and believed that this letter brings success and fame for his movies. So, he came up with movies named Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. However, after watching Lage Raho Munna Bhai, he gave up this belief and tried other letters as initials in his film’s names.
- He is very much attached to his mother and often addressed as ‘Mumma’s Boy’.
- Karan has also been a costume designer for his close friend Shah Rukh Khan in films- DDLJ, Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Mohabbatein, Duplicate, Main Hoon Na, Veer-Zaara, Om Shanti Om, and many more.
- Before stepping into the direction, he assisted famous director Late Yash Chopra. Moreover, his mother is the youngest sister of Late Yash Chopra.
- His ultimate goal is to bag an Oscar. He once shared that he wants to walk the red carpet with Oscar in his hand and he would love to hold that trophy and say, “This is for you, India.”
- He can speak French very fluently; as he holds a master degree in French
- Karan is a cricket freak and loves playing it whenever he gets some time.
- In 2006, he became the first Indian filmmaker to become a jury member in the Miss World contest held in Warsaw, Poland.
- He was chosen as one of the 250 Global Young Leaders in 2007 by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum 2006.
- Apart from Former Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, he was the only Indian who had been invited to the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
- Although he manages to get every shot correct on his sets, he hates reading scripts.
- In 2015, he played a negative role of Kaizad Khambatta in the film Bombay Velvet and he charged only ₹11 as his fee.
- He loves wearing velvet jackets.
- For his direction “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil”, he wrote the entire film script in 30 days.
- Although Karan’s best friend is Shah Rukh Khan, he is very impressed with Hrithik Roshan‘s work, and once said that we all in the film industry work hard, but whereas all of us give 100%, Hrithik gives his 300%.
- Before directing films, he assisted the famous Late Yash Chopra.
- He had a crush on Twinkle Khanna (now, the wife of Akshay Kumar).
- During an interview with NDTV, he revealed that at one point of time in his life, he suffered from depression and anxiety attacks.
- In March 2017, he became a single parent to twins- son Yash Johar and daughter Roohi through surrogacy. He delivered a TED talk in a letter to his children.
- As per his mother, he is a very sensitive and emotional person; the attributes which he has been carrying since his childhood.
- Karan hates replying to people by mail and it is like torture to him. He told that his secretary replies to more than half of his emails, and to the remaining personal ones, he prefers calling personally and replying.
- Johar named his son Yash – after his father, and his daughter Roohi – rearranged from his mother’s name Hiroo.
- Karan Johar has been roped in to host the digital episodes of the upcoming season of ‘Bigg Boss 15‘ on Voot. The TV show announced that ‘Bigg Boss 15’ will be launched on OTT ahead of its television premiere.