|Profession:||Actor and Model|
|Marriage Date:||16 October 2012|
Kareena Kapoor Khan; born 21 September 1980) is an Indian actress who appears in Hindi films. She is the daughter of actors Randhir Kapoor and Babita, and the younger sister of actress Karisma Kapoor. Noted for playing a variety of characters in a range of film genres—from romantic comedies to crime dramas—Kapoor is the recipient of several awards, including six Filmfare Awards, and is one of Bollywood’s most popular and highest-paid actresses.
Kareena Kapoor Biography
21 September 1980
Bombay, Maharashtra, India
|Other names||Kareena Kapoor|
Saif Ali Khan (m. 2012)
Early life and background
Born on 21 September 1980 in Bombay (now Mumbai), Kapoor (often informally referred to as ‘Bebo’) is the younger daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita (née Shivdasani); her elder sister Karisma is also an actress. She is the paternal granddaughter of actor and filmmaker Raj Kapoor, maternal granddaughter of actor Hari Shivdasani, and great-granddaughter of filmmaker Prithviraj Kapoor. The actor Rishi Kapoor is her uncle, and his son, actor Ranbir Kapoor, is her cousin. According to Kapoor, the name “Kareena” was derived from the book Anna Karenina, which her mother read while she was pregnant with her. She is of Punjabi Hindu descent on her father’s side, and on her mother’s side, she is of Sindhi Hindu and British descent.
• There had been her catfights with Bipasha Basu on the sets of the film Ajnabee, as she publicly took a dig at her skin tone by calling her a “kali billi.”
• Her controversial MMS with Shahid Kapoor, having a steamy liplock went viral on social media.
• She publicly made fun of Priyanka Chopra‘s accent, after which Priyanka finally replied by saying that she got it from the same place that Saif got his from.
Fashion and publication
Alongside her acting work, Kapoor has established a career as a designer. During her five-year association with the retail chain Globus, Kapoor became the first Indian actress to launch her own line of clothing for women; she described the collaboration as being “special” and “reflective of my personal sense of style”. Her collection made its debut several months later in stores across India and was well received. Following the end of her contract with Globus, she expressed a desire to work with a design house to release her clothing line internationally, but later explained that those plans were on hold. In August 2018, Kapoor collaborated with Lakmé Cosmetics to launch her own line of cosmetics.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kareena Kapoor Biography
- Does Kareena Kapoor smoke?: No
- Does Kareena Kapoor drink alcohol?: Yes
- Kareena is of the 4th generation of the Kapoor family, was born to a Sindhi mother, Babita, and a Punjabi father, Randhir Kapoor.
- Very few people know that her birth name was “Siddhima“, given by her grandfather, Raj Kapoor.
- Her name “Kareena” was derived from the novel, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
- Her father was very protective towards her and Karisma and wanted both to stay away from acting and get married, which led to conflicts with her father, after which both the sisters started living with their mother
- She had a huge crush on actor, Akshaye Khanna in her teenage days.
- She was supposed to make her Bollywood debut opposite Hrithik Roshan in Kaho Na Pyaar Hai (2000), and even shot a film sequence. But, later, she walked out of the film due to some misunderstanding between Rakesh Roshan and Kareena’s mother Babita.
- The period from 2002 to 2003, was probably the worst part of her career as all her movies such as Mujhse Dosti Karoge!, Jeena Sirf Merre Liye, Khushi, Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon, LOC Kargil, were flops at the box office.
- She was offered the supporting role, as a sister of Aishwarya Rai in the Indian-English version of Pride and Prejudice, which she turned down.
- She turned vegetarian in 2006.
- Her bubbly role of Geet in the film Jab We Met (2007), rejuvenated her acting career, brought success and fan following.
- In 2010, she adopted the Chanderi village (famous for its Chanderi saris) in Madhya Pradesh, to provide it with electricity.
- In 2012, she released her memoir, ‘The Style Diary of a Bollywood Diva’, co-authored by Rochelle Pinto.
- In an interview, she revealed that she does not wash her jeans for a month because she feels it more comfortable to wear that way.
- She has her wax statues in England and Singapore’s Madame Tussaud Museum.
- For her glamorous role in the film Heroine (2012), she wore 130+ different dresses, which were designed by top designers from all over the world, one of which was worth ₹1.5 crores.
- On 16 October 2012, Kapoor married actor Saif Ali Khan in a private ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai, and she gave birth to their sons in 2016 and 2021 respectively.
- She was the first choice for Sanjay Leela Bhansali‘s film, Goliyon Ki Raasleela: Ram-Leela, but she turned down the offer, and later the role was offered to Deepika Padukone.
- In December 2019, she appeared as an anchor in Aaj Tak’s show “Good Newwz.”
Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards
The Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Award is presented by the Bollywood film industry to honor and recognize the professional excellence of their peers. Kapoor has received one award out of four nominations.
|2008||Jab We Met||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Won|
|2010||Kurbaan||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Nominated|
|2011||Golmaal 3||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Nominated|
|2013||Heroine||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Nominated|
BIG Star Entertainment Awards
The BIG Star Entertainment Awards honor the Hindi film industry; Kapoor has won three awards out of seven nominations.
|2010||Film Actor (Female) of the Decade||Nominated|
|Golmaal 3||Most Entertaining Film Actor – Female||Nominated|
|2011||Bodyguard||Most Entertaining Film Actor – Female||Nominated|
|Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Role – Female||Won|
|Most Entertaining Pair of the Year (along with Salman Khan)||Won|
|2012||Talaash||Most Entertaining Film Actor – Female||Nominated|
|Most Entertaining Actor in a Thriller – Female||Won|
|2013||Satyagraha||Most Entertaining Actor in a Social – Drama Film – Female||Nominated|
|2017||Ki & Ka||Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Film – Female||Nominated|
The Filmfare Awards is one of the oldest and most prominent Hindi film award ceremonies. They are presented annually by The Times Group to honor both artistic and technical excellence. Kapoor has won six awards out of thirteen nominations, including a special award for her performance in Chameli (2004).
|2001||Refugee||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2005||Dev||Best Actress (Critics)||Won|
|Best Actress (Critics)||Won|
|2008||Jab We Met||Best Actress||Won|
|3 Idiots||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2011||Golmaal 3||Best Actress||Nominated|
|We Are Family||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|2017||Udta Punjab||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2020||Good Newwz||Best Actress||Nominated|
Other Awards and Recognition
|2001||Sansui Viewer’s Choice Awards||Best Debutante – Female||Refugee||Won|
|2001||Bollywood Movie Awards||Best Female Debut||Refugee||Won|
|2004||Sansui Viewer’s Choice Awards||Best Actress – Critics||Chameli||Won|
|2004||Bollywood Movie Awards||Critics Award Female||Chameli||Won|
|2013||NDTV Indian of the Year Awards||Entertainer Of The Decade Award||–||Won|
- 2004 Honoured by Marco Ricci Society with Young Achiever Award.
- 2005 Honoured with Rajiv Gandhi Young Achiever Award.
- 2005 Awarded as Indian Diva by Sahara One Television viewers.
- 2006 Awarded the Smita Patil Memorial Award for her contributions to the Hindi Film Industry.
- 2008 Awarded with Global Achievement Award at Future Group Global Indian TV Honours.
- 2009 Awarded India Today Woman Award for her contributions to art and cinema, 2009.
- 2009 IIFA-FICCI Frames’ as the Most Powerful Entertainers of the Decade award.
- 2009 GQ Excellence Award for Achievement in films.
- 2009 Awarded Celebrity Endorsement of the Year Award by Tech Life Awards.