News

Kejriwal’s doorstep delivery of ration scheme returned for reconsideration, not rejected: Delhi L-G

According to sources, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi has returned for reconsideration the file pertaining to the Delhi government’s doorstep delivery of ration scheme. However, the scheme has not been rejected.

UPDATED: June 5, 2021 22:17 IST

The Delhi government on Saturday said the Centre has stalled its doorstep delivery of ration scheme which was set to be launched in a couple of days. According to sources close to the Lieutenant Governor (L-G) of Delhi Anil Baijal, the proposal for the scheme has not been rejected as is “being portrayed by the Delhi government”. The scheme has only been “returned for reconsideration”.

This has been done to ensure “the constitutional scheme of things is followed in letter and spirit with the sole aim of ensuring smooth decisions and seamless benefits to people at large.”

The L-G has cited two reasons for this decision,

  • Since the proposal seeks to change the method of distribution, it requires the approval of the central government as per the National Food Security Act, 2013.
  • A writ petition has been filed by the Delhi Sarkari Ration Dealers Sangh in the Delhi High Court challenging the Delhi government’s scheme. The Union of India is also a party. The petition will be heard on August 20.

AAP’S SIDE OF THE STORY

The chief minister’s office released an official statement on the issue on Saturday. According to that, the Delhi government had completed all the preparatory work and was all set to launch the scheme in a couple of days in order to deliver ration to 72 lakh poor beneficiaries at their homes.

However, the central government has now stalled the scheme even though all the concerns flagged earlier in March have been addressed by the  Arvind Kejriwal-led government, the statement said. This includes the dropping of the scheme’s original name, Mukhyamantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana.

ALSO READ: Delhi allows home delivery of liquor through mobile apps, online portals

The scheme has been stopped by the Centre on the basis that its approval was not sought and given and because of an ongoing court case, an official statement from the chief minister’s office said.

On this, Delhi’s Food Minister Imran Hussain stated, “No approval for launching such a scheme is required as per existing law. Citing an ongoing court case, wherein no stay has been ordered by the courts, to stop the rollout of such a revolutionary scheme makes it clear that this decision is politically motivated.”

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: