Novak Djokovic has officially removed from the draw for the Indian Wells competition, coordinators said on Sunday in a sign that the world number one’s application for a Coronavirus immunization waiver to enter the U.S. could have fizzled.
The Serbian, who is one of the most high-profile competitors unvaccinated against the infection, applied to the U.S. government last month for extraordinary authorization to play at ATP Bosses occasions at Indian Wells and Miami.
The U.S. as of now banishes unvaccinated outsiders from section into the country, a strategy that is supposed to be lifted when the public authority closes its Coronavirus crisis statements on May 11.
Djokovic has not contended at the consecutive ATP Experts occasions in Indian Wells and Miami, two of the greatest competitions on the ATP schedule and known as the “Daylight Twofold”, starting around 2019.
Nobody from Djokovic’s group was promptly accessible to remark on the withdrawal.
Last Friday, Florida Representatives Rick Scott and Marco Rubio composed a letter to U.S. President Joe Biden encouraging him to concede the waiver demand.
Indian Wells competition chief Tommy Haas, the US Tennis Affiliation and the U.S. Open were among those likewise trusting the 22-time Huge homerun champion would be permitted to enter.
He would have been a weighty number one to bring home his 6th Indian Wells championship when the competition starts off in the Southern California desert on Wednesday.
Djokovic, who missed last year’s Australian Open because of his immunization status and was not permitted into the U.S. for last year’s U.S. Open, has said he would skirt Huge homeruns instead of have a Coronavirus shot.
He won his record-tying 22th significant titles at the Australian Open in January.