|Nickname:||Sanju Baba, Munna Bhai|
|Sanjay Dutt Biography|
|Full Name||Sanjay Balraj Dutt|
|Nickname(s)||Sanju Baba, Munna Bhai|
|Profession(s)||Actor, Film Producer|
|Famous Role||Murli Prasad Sharma (Munna Bhai); in the “Munna Bhai Series” Films|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||centimeters– 183 cm
meters– 1.83 m
feet inches– 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 85 kg
in pounds– 187 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||– Chest: 44 inches
– Waist: 36 inches
– Biceps: 16 inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||29 July 1959 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Bombay State (Now, Mumbai), India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||The Lawrence School, Sanawar (Near Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh)|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Debut||Film (Child Actor): Reshma Aur Shera (Hindi; 1972)
Film (Lead Actor): Rocky (Hindi; 1981)
Film (Producer): Shortkut (Hindi; 2009)
TV: Bigg Boss Season 5 in 2011 (co-host with Salman Khan)
|Blood Group||O (+ve)|
|Political Inclination||In the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections, he was offered a ticket from the Samajwadi Party to contest the election. However, he withdrew when the court refused to suspend his conviction in the illegal possession of arms case.
His sister, Priya Dutt, is a Member of the Indian National Congress (INC)
|Address||58 Smt Nargis Dutt Road, Pali Hill, Bandra, Mumbai 400050|
|Hobbies||Playing the Guitar, Photography, Cooking, Doing Workouts, Horse Riding|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2000: Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Vaastav: The Reality
2004: Filmfare Award for Best Comedian for Munnabhai M.B.B.S.Note: He has many other awards/honors to his name
|Tattoo(s)||Upper Arm (Left Shoulder)– Om Namah Shivaya, written in Sanskrit
Upper Arm (Right Shoulder)– A dragon breathing fire
Right Arm– Two Samurai soldiers one below the other, one in black and white, the other colorful, with Japanese flowers falling over them
Left Shoulder Blade– Shiv Gayatri Mantra
Left Forearm– A snake and “Dilnawaz,” his wife Maanayata’s real name
Right Forearm– A lion and the words “Simba Rules”
Chest– His parents’ names Nargis in Urdu and Sunil Dutt in Devanagari
Neck– A Tibetan Om, his birth sign Leo and a red-inked tattoo of the numerical one
|Controversies||• In 1982, he was arrested for possessing illegal drugs and was imprisoned for 5 months.
• In 1993, he was arrested under TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act) for possessing illegal arms (in this case AK-56) during the 1993 Mumbai Serial Blasts. However, he was released on bail in October 1995 but was re-arrested in December 1995. In April 1997, he was again released on bail.
• He spent 7 months in Pune’s Arthur Road Jail during the period of 2006-07.
• On 31 July 2007, TADA Court cleared him of charges related to the Mumbai blasts and sentenced him 6 years of rigorous imprisonment for possessing illegal weapons and was moved to the Yerwada Jail in Pune. On 20 August 2007, he was granted bail, and on 22 October 2007, he was again sent to Jail. On 27 November 2007, the Supreme Court granted him bail.
• On 21 March 2013, the Supreme Court of India upheld the TADA verdict, however, reduced the sentence from 6 years to 5 years imprisonment and was given a month to surrender.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Tina Munim, Actress (1981-1983)
Richa Sharma, Actress (1987-1996)
Madhuri Dixit, Actress (1990-1993)
|Marriage Date||First Marriage: October 12, 1987
Second Marriage: Year, 1998
Third Marriage: February 7, 2008
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife: Richa Sharma, Actress (m. 1987-till her death in 1996)
Second Wife: Rhea Pillai, Model (m. 1998; div. 2005)
Third Wife: Manyata Dutt, Actress (2008-Present)
|Children||Son– Shahraan (from Manyata Dutt)
Daughter(s)– Trishala Dutt (from Richa Sharma), Iqra Dutt (from Manyata Dutt)
|Parents||Father– Late Sunil Dutt (Actor)
Sisters– Priya Dutt (Politician), Namrata Dutt (both younger)
|Actor(s)||Sylvester Stallone, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna|
|Actress(es)||Sharmila Tagore, Nargis|
|Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar|
|Book||A Stone For Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins
|Cars Collection||Red Ferrari 599 GTB, Porsche SUV, Rolls Royce Ghost, a two-seater Audi R8, Audi Q7, BMW 7 series
|Bike Collection||Harley-Davidson Fat Boy|
|Salary (approx.)||₹12 Crore|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$35 million (2021)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanjay Dutt Biography
- Does Sanjay Dutt smoke?: Yes
- Does Sanjay Dutt drink alcohol?: Yes
- His mother Nargis used to call him “Chand.”
- His mother, Nargis, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, she died on 2 May 1981, 5 days before the release of “Rocky,” which was Sanjay’s first film, Nargis wanted to see his son on the silver screen but unfortunately, she couldn’t.
- He started taking drugs when he was in high school.
- He changed the spelling of his name from “Sunjay” to “Sanjay” after his drug rehabilitation; as he wanted to start a new life with a new name.
- During an interview, he revealed that although he was very close to his mother, Nargis, he didn’t weep at her death. He also said that once his father, Sunil Dutt, sent him an audio record of Nargis (when she was not well and was struggling for her life), and when he played the audio, he wept for almost next 4-5 hours; remembering his deceased mother. In the audio, Nargis asked Sanjay to keep his natural instinct throughout his life and to never show off.
- He was listed among the leading Bollywood actors after the 1986 blockbuster film- Naam. His role in the film was critically praised, both by the audience and the critics.
- He was nominated for the Filmfare Best Actor Award for the first time in 1992 for the film- Saajan.
- He was out of work for 4 years; after he was arrested in 1993 for his alleged involvement in the 1993 Mumbai Serial Blasts. The rising stars of that time including Ajay Devgan, Saif Ali Khan, Salman Khan, and Akshay Kumar, showed their support for Sanjay Dutt.
- The 1999 blockbuster film- Vaastav: The Reality received critical acclaims and his role was considered one of the best performances in his career.
- The character of Munna Bhai in the National Award-winning blockbuster film Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003), is considered the iconic role in his career.
- He plays the guitar very well and has won the Gold medal for playing the guitar in a competition in the USA.
- His first wife, Richa Sharma, died due to Cancer in 1996.
- His younger sister, Namrata, is married to actor Kumar Gaurav.
- After the death of his first wife, Richa, Sanjay lost custody of her daughter Trishala and thereafter, Trishala started living with her maternal grandparents in the United States.
- His third wife, Manyata’s real name is Dilnawaz Sheikh.
- His 2 children with Manyata (son Shahraan and daughter Iqra) are twins.
- An audio of a conversation between Sanjay Dutt and Chhota Shakeel also surfaced in the media, in which Sanjay Dutt was heard using abusive language.
- In the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections, he was offered a ticket from the Samajwadi Party to contest the election. However, he withdrew when the court refused to suspend his conviction in the illegal possession of arms case.
- At the Yerwada Jail, he was allotted the prisoner number- 16656.
- During his stay at the Pune’s Yerwada Jail, he earned ₹38000 in 5 years of his jail term, and after having spent most of it on daily uses, he came out of jail with ₹450.
- In 2016, Rajkumar Hirani announced to make a biopic on Sanjay Dutt’s life and also took the first shot when Sanjay Dutt was released from the Yerwada Jail in February 2016.
- By 2018, it was confirmed that Ranbir Kapoor would play the role of Sanjay Dutt in his biopic titled “Sanju.”
- In August 2020, he was taken to Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital after he complained of chest pain and breathlessness where he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer; however, he was tested negative for the COVID-19.