The Majestic Fort Aguada: The most indispensable strategic fort in the open waters of Konkan
After Industrialization engulfed Europe, and countries found themselves in a major rift and competition to emerge superior and edge over one another to get maximum profit out of the game.
England, France, Dutch and Portuguese were rallying up Europe, and they were also on a constant lookout to increase their trade and set a foothold somewhere far and wide; they may also render them a potential strategic foothold. Christopher Columbus got mixed up in the Bermuda Triangle and, in the hope of finding the shores of India, ended up discovering America, thus opening new hope for the westerners to get their business operationalized. But still, America failed to live up to the foreigners’ expectations, as the country had colossal resources to offer but still, the savages needed to be reprimanded and things to be sorted.
The prayers and questions of which potential market would suffice and sought Europe’s income were soon answered. In 1498, Vasco Da Gama, a Portuguese sailor, first set his foot ashore in the Indian waters. He reached Calicut, and the Zamorin welcomed him diligently and invited the Portuguese sailor the vast prospectus of trade that lay at his disposal. The business opens many possibilities, and the tendency to protect that trade from invaders became a priority for the defenders to seek their interest. Forts acted as a divine catalyst for the Portuguese government at the shores of the Western coast, and sitting atop the embankments of Goan water, Fort Aguada looked mystical and a significant, potential frontier that marked the settlement and gave a hefty assurance to the European giants to safeguard their trade and act as a reservoir to serve their purpose.
Fort Aguada is a nicely-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese castle, in conjunction with a lighthouse, in Goa, India, on Sinquerim seashore, overlooking the Arabian Sea. Its miles an ASI Protected Monument of countrywide significance in Goa.
The castle changed into a built-in 1612 to shield towards the Dutch and the Marathas. It turned into a reference factor for the vessels coming from Europe at that point. This vintage Portuguese citadel stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It becomes, first of all, tasked with the protection of shipping and the close by Bardez sub-district. Standing from the top of the Fort, you could witness the horizon miles away in every direction. Due to this, in the distant past, it held strategic importance both politically and from military prospectus when the European countries were looking forward to establishing their hegemony among the Indian waters.
When we first landed in Goa, thoughts of visiting a Fort among our tightly packed beach schedule looked very flimsy and dismal. No way, any of us in the pack were interested in making a beeline forward for watching any historical places or sites, somewhat being accustomed to the commercial beauty and distinctive flavour of Goan beaches. The world is so much in amour with. But the panoramic view of this majestic Fort had all the people rooting for, and it draws them within the prefecture of the Fort that stood there to open the doors of enlightenment.
They are laced with A freshwater spring that flowed in the vicinity of the Fort, supplying water to deliver to the ships that used to stop by using the currents. That is how the fortress Fortress name: Aguada, which means watery the Portuguese language. Crews of passing ships could regularly visit to top off their freshwater shops. The Aguada fortress Lighthouse erected in 1864 is the oldest of its type in Asia. Constructed in 1612, it turned into once the grandstand of seventy-nine cannons. It can store 2,376,000 gallons of water, one of the most significant freshwater reservoirs in Asia. This fortress is divided into 2 segments: the upper structure acted as a fort and watering station, whilst the lower part further served as a safe haven for Portuguese ships that usually come by. Whereas the upper part has a moat that is now all dried up, underground water storage chamber, gunpowder room, Lighthouse, and bastions, it also has a mystery getaway passage to transfix overtime of conflict and emergency. The Lighthouse at the initial degree is used to emit mild as soon as in 7 minutes.
But is it just a fortress with a water reservoir? Guess what? There is more to it. Historians always have this tendency to belittle establishments and mould some facts that might get a little out of hand. Few evidence is dotted all over Fortress to draw my attention towards something more than this Fort just being a lighthouse. Many adjustments had been made to it over the period. Take the entire Fort was made from the apparent permeable stone, keeping in mind about the vicinity of the Fortress, Fortress proximity with the water. Still, the water reservoir that the Fort holds has been made out of ceramic sandstone that standout.
It’s always been forespoken that the historians have always narrated the history with opinionated manoeuvres, with not every fact making sense with what the actual establishment is meant to convey. It’s been mentioned that the moat was purposely used to serve as an haven or harbour to the ship. But I won’t shy down from saying the facts that these moats were not just meant to provide a safe, free passageway to them. They might be infested with muggers to get the better of the enemy, who somehow managed to get their ships from the rear of the cliff inside the barriers. Wave breaker a few meters inside the arena answered many equations.
The Fort always have been strategically important, and the design was nothing less than stupendous, as the defenders have designed its outlay so that there is only an entry point but no exit point to it. The significance of wave breaker also grew in importance, as the onrushing water, on many occasions, rose to tremendous heights, and its impressions still could be seen at the walls of the Fortress. Fort Aguada was the maximum prized and crucial Portuguese Fort. The Fort is so consequential that it envelops the entire peninsula on the southwestern tip of Bardez. Built at the mouth of Mandovi River, it turned into strategically placed and turned into the chief protection of Portuguese in opposition to the Dutch and Marathas. At some stage in the Salazar management, castle Aguada turned into repurposed to be used as a jail. Generally, some claim for Salazar’s political warring parties.
Fort Aguada is the contemporary world, still have exhilarated and bewitched many history geeks, historians, and ordinary people with its serenity and elegance that it has flaunted over the years.