UPDATED: April 30, 2021 16:06 IST
Uttar Pradesh will witness a complete lockdown from Friday 8 pm to 7 am on Tuesday in a bid to tackle the second wave of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Amid a sharp rise in the number of Covid-19 cases in Uttar Pradesh, the government on Thursday decided to extend the weekend lockdown by 24 hours to cover Mondays too.
“The weekend closure will now be applicable from Friday 8 pm till Tuesday 7 am,” Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Navneet Sehgal had said on Thursday.
However, the official refused to term it a “lockdown”, preferring “closure” instead.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, according to a statement, said ‘corona curfew’ at night (from 8 pm to 7 am) should be implemented across the state strictly.
WHAT’S ALLOWED DURING WEEKEND LOCKDOWN?
1. All essential services will be allowed
2. Vaccination drive will continue in the state
3. Only 50 people are allowed at weddings and 20 at funerals
4. All public transport, including rail, Metro, buses, cabs will operate with a maximum of 50 per cent capacity
5. Public and private offices are allowed to have up to 50 per cent of staff in offices
6. Services like health care, police, fire, bank, electricity, water and irrigation, scheduled operation of common transport will be allowed to operate
7. There’s no ban on operations of inter-state and inter-state along with transportation of essential commodities
8. Takeaways, food delivery, goods delivery will be allowed
WHAT’S NOT ALLOWED
1. All shops and establishments will now remain closed between Friday 8 pm and Tuesday 7 am
2. Political/sports /entertainment/religious gatherings are prohibited
3. Malls, cinema halls, restaurants, bars, sports complexes, gyms, etc will remain shut
4. Educational institutes, such as schools and colleges, will remain closed